Plant Physiology (Biology 327)
- Dr. Stephen G. Saupe; College of St. Benedict/ St.
University; Biology Department; Collegeville, MN 56321; (320) 363 - 2782;
(320) 363 - 3202, fax;
Seed Packet Analysis
Objectives: The purpose of this lab
experience is to understand the info provided on a seed packet:
Growers are required to label seed package with a variety of
information. Examine the seed packets in the images below and then discuss with your lab partners the answers
to the following questions:
- What information is
standard (i.e., provided on all three
- How many Jingle
Bells Hybrid Pepper seeds should you plant to insure that you will have 10 seedlings?
- What does F1 on the
Jingle Bells Hybrid Pepper seed pack refer to?
- If the Jingle Bells Hybrid Pepper plants
are grown in the garden and then self-pollinate, can the seeds be collected at
the end of the growing season to plant more of this same variety next year?
- How long will it take for plants to
produce ripe fruit?
- In central Minnesota can we plant Jingle
Bells Hybrid Pepper seeds directly into the garden and expect to harvest ripe
- Which of the seeds will produce plants
that will breed true?
- Which seeds do you expect to cost the
- Which seeds were tested for germination?
01/07/2009 � Copyright by SG