CH 105 - Chemistry and
Alcohol: The Questions
Here is a list of questions that you and I want
to explore as we study the biochemistry of alcohol:
- What are the short and long term effects
of alcohol on the brain and how do they explain use/abuse of alcohol?
- Why do some people become alcoholics and
- How do people get tolerant to alcohol. so
that they need more to produce the same effects?
- Is there a genetic basis to alcoholism?
Addiction? What are the environmental determinants?
- Why do some alcoholics relapse even after
years of abstinence?
- What are the similarities between alcohol
use/addiction and other addictive drugs like cocaine.
- Are there pharmacological treatments for
alcohol abuse (short and long term)?
- What neurological damage is found in
infants with fetal alcohol syndrome?
- What explains the beneficial effects of
moderate alcohol use? Are the medical benefits to its use?
- Does alcohol affect women and men
differently? Young and old? Are there differences in alcohol effects between
cultures? Between individuals?
- How do societal views and laws on alcohol
use affect actual alcohol use, especially in under age people?
- What causes hangovers?
- How do breathalyzers work?
- How does it relief anxiety?