WCB Quiz: H - Precipitation Reactions
1. What statment below concerning the following reaction from Lab 3 is correct?
a. Cu+ is a spectator ion
b. Na+ appears in the net ionic equation
c. OH- does not appear in the net ionic equation
d. NO3 is a spectator ion
2. If Pb(NO3)2(aq) is mixed with LiBr(aq), which is most likely to happen?
a. PbBr2 will precipitate
b. LiNO3 will precipitate
c. Both PbBr2 and LiNO3 will precipitate
d. Neither PbBr2 and LiNO3 will precipitate
3. If (NH4)2SO4 (aq) is mixed with CaBr2(aq), which is most likely to happen?
a. NH4Br precipitates
b. CaSO4 precipitates
c. Both NH4Br and CaSO4 precipitate
d. Neither NH4Br or CaSO4 precipitates
4. Which statement concerning solubility is generally true?
a. All nitrates are soluble
b. Most sulfates are soluble
c. Most hydroxides are slightly soluble or insoluble
d. All of the above are generally true
5. In writing the total ionic equation for the reaction (if any) that occurs when solutions of KOH and Mg(NO3)2 are mixed, which of the following would NOT be written as ionic species.
e. All of the above
6. Iron (II) sulfate reacts with potassium hydroxide in aqueous solution to form a precipitate. The net ionic equation for this reaction is
a. Fe2+ + (SO4)2- gives FeSO4
b. 2K+ + (SO4)2- gives K2SO4
c. 2Fe3+ + 3(SO4)2- gives Fe2(SO4)3
d. Fe2+ + 2OH- give Fe(OH)2
e. K+ + Fe2+ gives Fe3+
7. Aqueous solutions of sodium chloride and copper (II) bromide are mixed together. Which statement is correct?
a. Both NaBr and CuCl2 precipitate from solution.
b. No precipitate forms.
c. CuCl2 will precipitate from solution.
d. NaBr will precipitate from solution.
8. Which of the following salts is insoluble in water?
e. All of these are soluble in water.
WCB Quiz I - Redox Reactions
1. What statment below concerning the following reaction is correct?
a. Zn is oxidized and HCl reduced
b. Zn is reduced and HCl oxidized
c. Zn is an oxidizing agent
d. HCl is reducing agent
2. CH4 can be converted to CCl4. What are the oxidation numbers of the C in CH4 and CCl4, respectively ?
a. 0, 0
b. 4+, 4-
c. 4-, 4+
d. 0, 4-
3.What is the oxidation number for P in phosphoric acid, H3PO4.
4. What is the oxidation number for Mn in KMnO4?
WCB Quiz J - Acid/Base Reactions
1. Which statement about acids is true?
a. Acids form H+ ions in solution
b. Strong acids are not electrolytes
c. Acids are proton acceptors
d. When acids interact with water, one of the products derived from the acid is a base
2. What statment below concerning the following reaction is correct?
a. HNO3(aq) is a stronger acid than H3O+(aq)
b. HNO3(aq) is a weaker acid than H3O+(aq)
c. H2O(l) is a weaker base than NO3-(aq)
d. H2O(l) is the solvent, not a base.
3. What statment below concerning the following reaction is correct?
a. After the reaction is complete, there is essential no HCl(aq) remaining in solution.
b. HCl(aq) is a weaker acid than H3O+(aq)
c. Cl-(aq) is a stronger base than H2O(l) (aq)
d. Very little of the HCl dissociates into ions.
4. . What statment below concerning the following reaction is correct?
Fe(NO3)3(aq) + 3NaOH(aq) --> Fe(OH)3(s) + 3NaNO3(aq)
a. NaOH acts as a base
b. NaOH acts as a oxidizing ageent
c. NaOH acts as a precipitating agent
d. NaOH acts as a reducing agent.
WCB Quiz K - Copper Reactions
1. Reaction 1 is a(n)
a. acid/base rx.
b. redox rx.
c. precipitation rx
d. none of the above
2.In reaction 2, NaOH acts as a(n)
b. oxidizing agent
c. reducing agent
d. precipitating agent
3. In reaction 2, the oxidation numbers of N in the reactant Cu(NO3)2(aq) and in the product NO2 are, respectively:
a. +5, +5
d. none of the above
4. In reaction 4, H2SO4 acts
a. to dissolve CuO and then as an oxidizing agent
b. to dissolve CuO and then as an acid
c. to dissolve CuO and then as a reducing agent
d. to dissolve CuO and then as a base
5. In reaction 6, Zn(s) acts as a(n)
a. reducing agent
b. oxidizing agent
c. precipitating agent
d. it plays no role in the reaction