34 Voluntary Choices and Habits
to Retard or Reverse Aging:
by Michael F. Roizen, M.D., University of Chicago
- Take aspirin every night (under supervision
of an M.D.)
- Consume food with vitamin C 3x per day, and
get more than 600 mg total.
- Consume 400 i.u. of Vitamin E each
day (new studies suggest you shouldn't do this if you are taking drugs to
- Consume 400 ug of folic acid a day
- Identify your genetic risks and reduce
- Drink green tea (men only)
- Eat 5 helpings or more of tomato paste per
- Get immunized
- Get 3500 cal of physical exercise per week,
and no more than 6000 cal any week.
- Do stamina exercise at least 3 x per week
for 20 min., but not more than 7 times per week for 120
- Do strength and flexibility exercises 3x
- Lower you blood pressure to 115/76 mm
- Eat less than or equal to what you use in
caloric expenditure weekly so that you body mass index is less
than 23. Calculate your BMI
on the web!
- Lower the saturated fat in your
- Take vitamin D (400 i.u.) and calcium (1000
- Do not accept a job with a pollution
- Do not live with a pollution risk.
- Use seat belts and take routing safety
- Get more than 6 but less than 9 hours of
sleep each night.
- Eat breakfast.
- Do not eat high-fat, high-calorie,
nutrient-poor food between meals.
- Take 1-3 alcoholic drinks (males) or 1
alcoholic drink (female) per day.
- Don't smoke or chew tobacco or be around
people who do.
- Join one or more social groups.
- Choose and keep a stable spouse who is well
- Learn to reduce your stress levels.
- Live below your income level.
- Support friends who undergo major life
- Laugh a lot.
- Become well educated.
- Patrol your own heath and need to see a
- Do not take iron supplements.
- Do not take more than 5000 i.u. of vitamin
A in a supplement any day. Take a vitamin B multi-vitamin daily
that is low in vitamin A and has no iron (or its equivalent in
- If you get a disease, do what is necessary
to prevent that disease from causing chronic disability.
- Don't abuse drugs, including
- Chose a life-long partner wisely.
- Try to find meaning in your life.
- Don't engaging in risky behaviors.
- Learn how to recognize, express, deal with
your emotions, and get help if you have issues you canít
- Develop and sustain real and supportive
- Balance work and leisure activities.
- Define your life priorities and let these
guide your decisions in ways which reduce internal
- Learn to be in the moment, and spend less
time in the past or in the future.
- Listen to music. Smell the roses.