North American XB-70A Valkyrie



Stated scale:


Actual scale:



IMG_6061.JPG (405234 bytes)IMG_6062.JPG (404817 bytes)IMG_6063.JPG (413296 bytes)IMG_6064.JPG (415817 bytes)

IMG_6065.JPG (422387 bytes)IMG_6066.JPG (455571 bytes)IMG_6067.JPG (404600 bytes)IMG_6068.JPG (416580 bytes)

IMG_6069.JPG (414517 bytes)IMG_6070.JPG (399736 bytes)IMG_6071.JPG (395309 bytes)IMG_6072.JPG (395110 bytes)

IMG_6074.JPG (418918 bytes)IMG_6076.JPG (415922 bytes)

Overall length:




Number of parts:


Stand included?


Decals included?


My Source:

local store

Cost (w/o s&h):

11/09 - Assembled, except for landing gear, and with a start on puttying. I'm using white putty, since I've had my fill of trying to get white paint to cover well over green putty.

IMG_4265.jpg (674086 bytes) IMG_4266.jpg (652613 bytes)  IMG_4270.jpg (520960 bytes)

IMG_4273.jpg (613990 bytes) IMG_4275.jpg (612317 bytes) IMG_4276.jpg (495464 bytes)

12/1/2009 - More puttying, this time around the cockpit and nose and down the wing undersides.

And then I found myself playing air-guitar with this. Heh.

11/3/2010 - And yet more sanding and putty and sanding... and applying a few detail pieces and the canopy windshield. This one's ready for priming.

IMG_5888.JPG (573269 bytes) IMG_5889.JPG (608201 bytes)
IMG_5890.JPG (606755 bytes) IMG_5891.JPG (651460 bytes)

11/6/2010 - I masked off the windshield and puttied around the gaps between the canopy piece and the fuselage. When dry I filed and sanded down the putty and masked off the engines. And so finally, it's white primer time.

11/8/2010 - And after white primer time is, well, ah, heck it's a white aircraft. I masked off the anti-glare panel and wingtip hinges and airbrushed on flat black paint and touched up some of the white paint. Once all way dry I hit it with some gloss.

IMG_5911.JPG (604307 bytes) IMG_5912.JPG (555085 bytes) IMG_5913.JPG (560395 bytes) IMG_5914.JPG (530201 bytes)

And then on to the decals. And landing gear. The struts are aluminum plate metallizer, which I buffed up. The tires are also metallizer but unbuffed and with a coat of dullcote on them.

IMG_5915.JPG (557566 bytes) IMG_5916.JPG (565086 bytes) IMG_5918.JPG (598041 bytes)

11/18/2010 - I've been working on the gloss finish, and 600-grit wet-sanding of some rough areas. Also worked up some additional decals for the model - observation spots and triangles, some inboard tail markings, and a right-side fuselage cockpit marking that was missing. I use a pipe cleaner to brush a rim of black chalkdust around the tread surfaces of the tires.

11/22/2010 - Decals and details! The latest round of work on this has been a good 600-grit or finer wet sanding followed by the addition of a number of home made decals - black striping & observation markings. I also razor-sawed apart the elevons. I need to re-paint the nose - I think the anti-glare panel is too wide as is.

IMG_5978.JPG (470209 bytes) IMG_5979.JPG (421508 bytes) IMG_5980.JPG (366556 bytes)

IMG_5990.JPG (399354 bytes) IMG_5991.JPG (382484 bytes) IMG_5992.JPG (452173 bytes)

11/30/2010 - The final round of fussy fiddling is over. I added a white observation mark on the nose, painted some detail panels on the underside, applied some light weathering and had a whole mess of fun inserting the landing gear. The nose gear went in fine, but the other two - with 5 pins to fit into holes in the well - took a lot of patience. I then attached the bay doors and went at the model with airbrushed diluted Micro Gloss, except over the anti-glare panel; I left that flat.

IMG_6014.JPG (441527 bytes)IMG_6051.JPG (526576 bytes)IMG_6053.JPG (400767 bytes)IMG_6060.JPG (412625 bytes)